Wednesday

Stereotypes

I have a very similar experience too. For my first job here in Canada, the hiring manager interviewed me for two hours and ten minutes and asked what he could possibly think of about automotive... industry. Finally, he turned around and said,"you have answered all my questions with utmost knowledge but I still have one gray area, do you guys really have auto industry in Iran'. At that point I just lost it and said, 'Listen to me, do you know what a camera-phone is? (this was early '02). He replied, 'Well we do have digital cameras and phones if that's what you mean'. I said, No camera-phone is this and that and by the way, we have it there for the last two years and there isn't supporting infrastructure for it here and that's why YOU don't have it. He was so ashamed and apologized ten times for being so ignorant. I always felt good about how I gave it to him and the HR gal :)

long time a go, for my first job in Canada , I took a job at a local college, the dean was introducing me and she said that I was from Iran and I am a computer Engineer, an always hated student, grined unbeautifully and said semi loudly " I didn't know they have computers in Iran?" and I replied calmly, "when your ancestors were wiping their butt with corn we had air condition in Iran, never mind now!!!, they gyu never said anything again until his graduation and teh dean was so pleased that finally someone could have stopped the negative Nelly!!! That's a backlash , Kermanshahi style

یکی از دوستان که حدود ۳ سال پیش به فرانکفورت آمده بود تعریف میکرد که در اولین روز معارفه وقتی من را به عنوان یک ایرانی معرفی کردند و در مورد تخصصم به عنوان یک فرد آکادمیک صحبت شده، یکی برگشته صریحا پرسیده که مگه ایران دانشگاه هم داره؟ !!!برای شخص خود من هم خیلی پیش آمده که در مورد ایران پرسیدن. تصوری که اینها از ایران دارن در مجموع این است که یک کشور بیابانی شبیه خیلی از کشور های عربی است و فکر میکنن در خیلی از نقاط ایران هنوز مردم سوار شتر میشن .... البته تمام اینها دلیل داره و مهم ترینش این است که ما در سالهای گذشته ارتباطات چندانی نداشته یم و در نتیجه برنامه ریزی برای معرفی ایران و فرهنگ ایرانی هم کم بوده. تبلیغات منفی اینها هم در مورد ایران بی تاثیر نبوده...مهم ترین سوال هایی که از خود من پرسیدن این بوده که آیا در همه جای ایران اینترنت هست ؟خانوم ها حق رای دارن ؟ خانوم ها در دانشگاه درس میخونن ؟ خانوم ها رانندگی میکنن ؟ خانوم ها کار میکنن ؟ و وضعیت حقوقی ، اجتماعی، فرهنگی ، ... چه جوریه ؟البته بیشتر مواقع این صحبت ها دو طرفه بوده و این ها هم به مشکلاتی که دارن اشاره میکنن، مثلان اینکه حقوق خانم ها حدود ۲۰ تا ۳۰ درصد کمتر از آقایون هم رتبه کار هست و کسی هم علت را نمیدونه!!!! و این که خیلی از کارفرمایان هنوز ترجیح میدن آقایون را استخدام کنن چون مشکلات برداری ، خانواده و مرخصی های مربوط به ان را نخواهند داشت.....

No comments:

Post a Comment